1110 Simmering


Pages: 16 + cover
Edition: 5 + artists copy (first edition)


4 in stock

Buy a print


Albin-Hirsch-Platz was named on February 15th 1949 after the master carpenter Albin Hirsch (12.12.1847–11.09.1918).

Hirsch was the son of a customs officer from the Bohemian Forest. He came to Vienna as a carpenter’s apprentice at his uncle’s carpentry. After completing his apprenticeship, he first worked for various construction companies, then in the Simmeringer wagon factory, where he was promoted to foreman. Later he went into business for himself.

In 1891 he was first district councilor for Simmering, then from 1895 to 1918 Christian social district head. From 1909 to 1915 he represented the Christian Social Party (CS) as a member of the Lower Austrian state parliament.

On his initiative, the 2nd cemetery of the nameless was built in 1900. Hirsch was chairman of the founding committee of the Simmering Voluntary Rescue Society, which was founded in 1905 based on the model of the Vienna Voluntary Rescue Society. He worked as vice president of the church building association of the Neusimmeringer parish church, which was inaugurated in 1910.

Albin Hirsch was honored in 1914 with the Knight’s Cross of the Franz Joseph Order and in 1916 with the War Cross for Civil Merit, Second Class.

The square was originally called Friedplatz until 1938 and Egerländerplatz from 1938–1949.