Albertplatz
1080 Josefstadt

 14,00

Pages: 24 + cover
Edition: 5 + artists copy (first edition)

Date:
Film:
Camera:

1 in stock

Buy a print

 

Albertplatz was named in 1904 after Field Marshal Albert Kasimir von Sachsen-Teschen (1738–1822). Albert was an important art patron. He was the founder and is the namesake of the Albertina, the largest collection of graphics in the world. In April 1766 he married Archduchess Marie Christine, his second cousin and Maria Theresa’s favorite daughter, one of the few love marriages among Maria Theresa’s children and one of the happiest. The marriage remained childless. In 1767, Marie Christine had given birth to a girl on May 16, but the child did not survive the following day. After the difficult delivery, the mother developed puerperal fever. 

Marie Christine died in 1798 at the age of 56 from a stomach disease. After the death of his wife, he had the first public water pipeline from Hütteldorf to Vienna built. The Albertine aqueduct named after him was completed in 1804 and operated until 1890; the water was channeled through Mariahilfer Straße to today’s municipal districts of Mariahilf, Neubau and Josefstadt. Albert von Sachsen-Teschen then devoted himself exclusively to his art collection.

The Isisbrunen (vulgar name: Gaberbrunnen) is located on Albertplatz. The facility was opened on October 4th, 1833.

Thanks to the efforts of the head judge of Breitenfeld Karl Gaber, the fountain was erected on the occasion of the creation of the Albertine aqueduct, the first public aqueduct in Vienna. The fountain was moved to the northeast corner of the square in 1912.